Re: skirted thermostat

To: "Ed Woods" <fogbros@nb.net>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: skirted thermostat
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 19:36:40 -0400
Message text written by "Ed Woods"  fogbros@nb.net
>Tony,

I've found a skirted thermostat among my various TR parts. It was in a box
with the following identification:

THZ 104
1x1 Thermostat
A4178 H4

The thermostat itself is marked:

Smiths X85025/86
187 F

Can you identify it and its application? Triumph, maybe?

Ed Woods
<

I unfortunately have no reference with the part numbers of the
proper TR thermostat.  However, the temp range is right, and
if it is the right size, then it will probably work.  The original WAS
a Smiths brand, if I am not mistaken.

If the thermostat opens "backward" I.E. toward the radiator, and if the
skirt also travels toward the radiator, then it is probably the correct
type.  The skirt should be at be around 0.700" from the flange when cold.

I am posting this reply on the list since there are certainly people there
smarter and more informed than I.
-Tony
-Tony