S.I.S. 5/118 from Dec' 1965 on Winter Vehicle Storage (Long)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Spitlist@gte.net
Subject: S.I.S. 5/118 from Dec' 1965 on Winter Vehicle Storage (Long)
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:31:52 EDT
In view of a recent thread on this subject, I thought listers might be
interested in the following Standard-Triumph Service Information Sheet on that
subject.

Storage of Vehicles.
With the advent of the winter months, together with our policy of protecting
and storing vehicles for the spring selling season, adequate protection
against weather hazards is vital.
S.I.S. 5/106/H January 1965, covered the procedure to be adopted on stored
vehicles, but in the light of experience, certain modifications have been
deemed desirable, and this S.I.S. now supersedes the earlier one.
The main problem is in connection with fall-out from oil-fired heating
boilers.
The soot deposits have a damaging affect on paintwork when allowed to remain
on the body for any length of time, although it would not affect a wax
protected vehicle. Every effort should be made to avoid storing cars in the
vicintity of boiler flues, and in such areas, under-cover parking should be
found.
Present production protection is given as follows:-
1.The under-bonnet area is sprayed with a temporary protective medium.
2.All exterior bright trim, with the exception of anodised aluminium is
protected with a wax film.
3.The underside of the vehicle is protected by spraying with a medium similar
to that used under the bonnet, but with a heavier coating.
4.The exterior paintwork is protected by spraying with a wax coating.
Treatment of vehicles for winter storage.
On vehicles received for parking in the open, where the period is expected to
be a few weeks, before transferring to under-cover storage, the following
conditions must be observed.

All storage sites should be level, and well drained with a hard-standing
surface.

Areas should be suitably fenced, and security should be maintained.

Care must be taken to avoid parking vehicles under trees, and any hedges
should be maintained to prevent the scratching of paintwork.

Vehicles must not be stored in areas susceptible to industrial airborne fall-
out, particularly from oil-fired boiler flues.

The parking of vehicles shall be such that there is sufficient room to enable
the doors to be opened without damage to adjacent vehicles.

All doors, bonnets, boot-lids and fuel filler caps must be kept properly
closed and locked.

All loose equipment and carpets should be securely stored and locked in the
boot.

The following operations shall then be carried out on the vehicles to be
stored.

1.Check under bonnet condition to ensure that no deterioration, ie: rusting,
has taken place on any component, and rectify if neccessary by re-spraying
with MD.951/1, supplied by Aster Bosielier & Lawrence, Sales Dept., 9 Savoy
Street, Strand, WC.2.

2.Check that the condition and preservation of the bright trim is
satisfactory, and rectify if necessary, by spraying with Autocoat B.2

3.Mask off the air cleaner intake with suitable tape.

4.Check the underside of the vehicle and rectify if necessary by spraying with
Tectyl 853.X preservative. On no account, must the preservative contaminate
the disc brake pads, or enter the brake drums, and discs and calipers should
be masked off with a piece of rag.

5.Mask up the end of the exhaust pipe.

6.Inflate tyre pressures to 25% above normal requirements.

7.Remove the battery and identify with the cars commission number and store in
a warm, dry atmosphere.

That's it, I hope you all enjoyed that little piece of S-T history from 33
years ago.
No more oil-fired heating flues, but think of all that photo-chemical-smog
that has taken it's place!!!
Take Care
Leon F Guyot
67 Herald 1200 Convertible (31 Winters)
63 Vitesse Mk.2 Convertible (under cover)