Re: Spin On Adapter GT6+

To: "john donohoe" <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Spin On Adapter GT6+
From: "unicorn7" <unicorn7@mail.icnet.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 02:42:54 -0500charset="us-ascii"
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I use the adapter available from SPIT BITS on my '69 GT6+ with a FRAM PH46
filter.  You will have a bit of a clearance problem, but no actual contact
between the filter assembly and the steering shaft, along with some brake
fittings (no actual contact, but get a strap type filter wrench as no other
type will easily fit.)

BTW the one I have is part of the spin on adapter and oil cooler kit,
includes everything except the filter (Nigel can tell you which ones fit)
the trick with the adapter is to first determine if you want a larger filter
or want the filter vertical (filter will be about 2/3 the size of the one
I'm using)  then take the adapter down to the local NAPA/Oreilly/PEP BOYS,
etc. and have them show you which filters fit - there are variances in the
hole size, thread pitch, filter diameter, length, and in gasket location on
the filters.  I found out the hard (but cheap) way - the filter I originally
got for the adapter was the right diameter, length, had the right threads,
but was the culprit for the only oil leak on my GT6 - the gasket on the
filter was located about 3/8 of an inch to the inside of the filter and thus
could not seal properly, threw on a PH46 (gasket is at the outer edge) and
the leak was gone (yes I still had oil in the sump)

What does it mean when a triumph doesn't leak oil?
-  it's out of oil.

Dave Korzun
69 GT6+