Re: OD - first use questions

To: Brad.Kahler@141.com
Subject: Re: OD - first use questions
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 07:56:49 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< While on my LBC parts buying trip back east I picked up a TR4 tranny with
 an "A" type OD.  Before buying we pulled the gear shift cover and
 inspected the insides.  Everything looked real good with the exception of a
 few small stains on some of the teeth that appeared to be moisture stains.
 They appeared to rub off using a cloth so I wasn't to concerned about
 them.  I would like to be able to just take this tranny/OD combination and
 just put them in my car and try them out.  Are there any precautions or
 things that I can do before installation to further check the unit out
without
 disassembling it?  I've toyed with the idea of pouring some keresene in the
 tranny and hand turning the gears for a while to try and clean out any
 sludge that might be in there.  Is this a bad idea?  Any other recommended
 ways to clean out the insides?  Is there any way inspecting the OD inards
 with out pulling apart?

Brad
Fill the unit w/ oil, get a 1/2" chuck drill, and chuck it to the input shaft.
Whilst spinning the tranny gears in 1st, in the forward direction, operate the
OD lever and engage it. The rpm and hence the whine should go down a bit. If
you have a speedo or tach about you can connect it to the trans and check the
reading this way as well.
Don't know any good way to check the gearbox out besides the obvious.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4