Re: Rear wheel bearings

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:24:31 EDT

<< Has anyone on the list successfully inspected, repacked and/or replaced
 the rear wheel bearings on solid axle Triumphs?  All my manuals seem to put
 this task beyond the capabilities of the home mechanic.  Either special
 tools (Churchill M86 or S132.2) are required or it is necessary to remove
 the brake drums and the axle shafts. >>

Removing the axle shafts and brake drums isn't a really big deal, removing the
rear wheel hub from the axle shaft is. I tried this once - rented a beefy hub
puller locally, mounted the axle hub in the vise and went at it. Result: a
bent hub (still on the axle) and a broken vise. I was cranking down with a 4
or 5 foot long "torque enhancer" and nothing. Not heat nor oils of various
stripes - nothing would move this thing. Finally gave up.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4