Re: R&R TR3 Rear Axles

To: jfcowan@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: R&R TR3 Rear Axles
From: Jim Bauder <JimBPPS@att.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:54:32 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John,

I have had some success doing this repair. My TR3 rear axle hub seal
went out several years ago and I had to remove the bearing from the
hub.

I pulled the axle and took it to a local machine shop where they put
the axle in a 20 ton press and put it under tension. After some time
and it was obvious that it was not moving, the machinist fired up his
welding torch and heated it up quite a lot. The axle was still under
extreme tension. Finally it let go with a pop that scared the heck out
of both of us. In spite of the recent advice from may listers regarding
heat, I have always used torches to break a stubborn assembly. When
push comes to shove sometimes the dang thing has to come apart no
matter what. Heat is sometimes the only answer. They only charged
me $30 or so, although I'm sure if I went back to them they would
charge me more as it was more work than they thought it would be.

I have had no problems with this type of disassembly. However, I
don't plan on racing my TR either!

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3 in fewer and fewer boxes
Palo Alto, CA