Re: Timing chain upgrade

To: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Subject: Re: Timing chain upgrade
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:15:30 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Is it possible to fit a TR6 double row timing chain to a Spitfire? Perhaps
a TR6 timing
>cover could be modified to fit? The engines are quite similar in many
ways....
***************************************
Well, since they use the same parts (crank gear, chain and cam sprocket,
late GT6 and Spit MK4-1500) and you can put the double row chain on the GT6
I suspect it would be possible.  Only conceivable hangup may be the timing
cover.  They share the same bolt pattern and would physically bolt on but
other than that I'm not sure.  There *may* be enough clearance for the
double row on the stock cover - I'm not sure that the cover is different
for the TR6 single or double-

2 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (someday soon back on the road)