TR3 overheating

To: Triumph news group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3 overheating
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:28:03 -0700
Something else for those of you who know. Took my TR3 on the road for
the first time today, and found that while it's quite happy to idle at a
temperature of 185 degrees for 1/2 hour, itvery quickly climbs while I'm
driving.

Since it's rather cool, I doubt outside temperature has anything to do
with it. Here's what I know:

        The themostat is new, non skirted and I did not block off the   bypass.

        The radiator cap is of the short type and doesn't seal. Water   seems to
blow out past the cap.

        The timing was too far advanced.

        Some type of contaminant was on the surface of the
water/antifreeze in
the radiator. It's gone now.

        The oil, freshly changed, is still free of water/antifreeze.

        Oil pressure is 40 PSI at hot idle.

        Engine is running nicely.

Could I have a blown head gasket? Bad water pump? Could the timing be
responsible?
--
George Richardson
The Wyvern - '57 TR3, TS15559L - now on the road!