No Subject

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: No Subject
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:40:50 EDT
<<I bought some straight weight SAE50 Castrol oil.  Is that sufficient for my
tranny and OD?>>
the SERVICE INSTRUCTION MANUAL for the LAYCOCK DE NORMANVILLE OVERDRIVE UNIT
(published around 1958? for the TR2,Vanguard and Renown "A' Type Units -
courtesy copy from Ken Nuelle)
says; The oil in the the overdrive is common whith that in the gearbox. The
oil to use is ordinary mineral oil in the folllowing grades:
Normal summer climates - S.A.E. 30
Normal winter climates - S.A.E. - 20
Under no circumstances should extreme pressure oils be used....additives can
cause sludging.
Oil capacity is as follows....
Triumph TR2 - 3 1/2 pints (2 litres)
Correct level must be carefully maintained...remove both plugs to
drain....refilling through gearbox filler hole only....after refilling drive
short distance ...and top off again with oil. Cleanliness is  the keynote to
satisfactory performance...smallest amount of dirt will cause great
difficulty...clean filler plug first each time before removing it. Regular
attention to these small details will be rewarded by long trouble-free
service.
GoodLuck
Carl
'64 TR4 (OD wannabe)