TR6 Trip Report - One Thousand Miles in 48 hours - No Problems!

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Trip Report - One Thousand Miles in 48 hours - No Problems!
From: "George Hay Kain, III" <ghkain@blazenet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:22:34 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Last Friday, with the onset of cooler weather here in Pennsylvania, and with
some of the parts needed to restore Ashley's hood (rag top) still on
backorder, I decided a factory hard top would be nice.  I posted a request
to the list, and in thirty minutes had several HT's to choose from. (Thanks
for your help, folks!) Decided the one in Pandora, OH would be closest, so
at 5:30 p.m. off we went.  Ashley is a '73 TR6 #CF 10266 U, emerald green
and black, just awakened on Labor Day from a long slumber.  Having changed
all fluids, filters, plugs, etc. (and accidentally greasing instead of
oiling her trunions in the process) we went whizzing West out the PA
Turnpike to Pittsburgh for a night with long-lost relatives.  Saturday
proceeded to Pandora, and got the hardtop from Ted Schumacher, a former
Triumph dealer who now does rebuilds and performance mods.  (He also has a
"used LBC lot behind his place that has about 50 LBC parts cars in it).  Ted
was really friendly and helpful, and he helped me get the top on properly.
Back to Pittsburgh Saturday night, and home to York, PA on Sunday.  1,036
miles.  No mechanical problems of any sort.  Steady speeds of 60 to 90 mph
at times (and I was in the "slow" lane!).  About 22 mpg.  1 quart of oil
every 800 miles (I think I see an engine rebuild at some point in the
future).  Oil pressure 55 lbs. +.  Amps 14+ except when lights were on.  No
sound but a steady purr from the exhaust and the rustle of wind in my hair
(outbound).

with Ashley driving in the blissful state of "straight up", it is one heck
of a lot of fun.  (Straight up is when both tach and speedo needles point
straight up - 70 mph/3500 rpm).

/s/ George Hay Kain, III - ghkain@blazenet.net