Exhaust gasket material-

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Exhaust gasket material-
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 07:38:06 -0700
This is for those of you that have had a need to make your own exhaust
header flange gaskets.
After using the gasket material (you know, that grey cardboard like stuff)
supposedly suitable for use on exhaust flanges, that's currently available,
I have been sorely disappointed!  Ever since asbestos was *removed* from
our store shelves I haven't found a replacement that even comes close.
What material, if any, have any of you found a viable substitute?  My best
solution so far is to use the aforementioned material, then using thin
stainless steel or aluminum tape on both sides of the gasket and trimming
away the excess.  This is a lot of work and I was wondering if any of you
have found something better?  The current material gets brittle after very
little use, and ends up cracking with inevitable, annoying and possibly
dangerous exhaust leaks.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (someday soon back on the road)