Re: Gear Box Oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Gear Box Oil
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:14:59 GMT
On 20 Oct 1998, Kiitsg@aol.com wrote:

> I am having trouble finding straight GL4 Tranny oil.  I have located a product
> marked GL3, GL4 and GL5.

That would mean it is GL5 (it is somewhat unusual to see oil marked that
way).

>  Am I in for trouble if I use this product?

If you don't have an OD, and don't drive in winter conditions, then there
is definitely NO problem.

With an OD, I would have been a bit careful about GL5. The reason is that
GL5 contains large amounts high pressure additives, which *may* affect OD
clutches. (Not that GL4 or GL3 doesn't contain them too, but at least
they have less).

That said, an OD gearbox will also work fine with good engine oil, or
even ATF. The choice is yours...

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92027705 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway