Re: TR4 Bondo'd wings

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Bondo'd wings
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:52:41 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Michael Ferguson wrote:

> Since the car needs paint anyway, I'm considering bondo removal and a
> proper repair. I suppose it's possible that the wings are salvageable,
> but would not be surprised to find them totally eaten away. Is it
> reasonable to expect to be able to find good replacements? What could I
> expect to pay for them?

>From what I know, the repro panels are not very good.  They are too small
and some bends are insufficient.  For a decent used fender, expect to pay
$100 to $300 apiece.  Lower if you don't mind pulling dents or minor rust
repair.

I think you would have a bigger problem with the body tub.  Front body tub
is easy to diagnose; it's visible with the bonnet open.  Rear body tub is
harder, you have to stick your hands up in the crevasses and make sure you
don't come back with a handful of rot.

A handful of old newspaper or chicken wire is also a Bad Thing.

If the bolt heads are still intact for the rear fenders, that's a plus.  I
was able to remove most of my fender intact, then fix it.  But most people
don't go to the extremes I do.  If I had the money, I'd a bought
replacement fenders... but I didn't (and still don't... altho I think I
might just save some $ and get proper parts for the RHS)

Make sure the frame and engine or good, or you'll be buying a parts car
:-(

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm