repost: unstoppable spit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: repost: unstoppable spit
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:49:21 -0700
Hmmm... I tried to send this yesterday, but I didn't see it
show up. Usually my posts appear within a few minutes.
But we've been having router troubles lately, so that might be it.
Apologies if this is a repeat. If any of you responded to the
original post, I haven't seen it.
--

Of british cars, it has been said:
"They're almost impossible to get going,
 but once you do, there's no stopping 'em"

Well, after some tribulations with my brakes, my spit is both
going and stopping again, without spitting DOT 4 on my toes.
In the process, I realized that the bodged hydraulics aren't really
the fault of Lucas-Girling (patron saint of paint strippers).

I have a small cap dual line master cylinder (probably from a 76)
The DPO seems to disconnected the pressure switch from the
rear portion of the system.

I have a few of questions:
1) Which end of the master cylinder should the front and back systems
be connected to ? Currently my fronts run off the rear (closer to
the driver) of the system.

2) The MC has two springs, one being heavier than the other. Currently
heavy one is behind the rear piston.

3) The pressure switch, aside from being disconnected from the warning
light, has been modified as follows:
            MC

right front-|-bleeder

            left front

The rear brakes are on a direct line from the front of the MC.
Aside from disabling the warning light, is there anything wrong
with this configuration ?

4) From looking at the haynes and VB catalog, I am not sure the pressure switch
is an original item. It is basically a 4 way junction with to electrical
contacts sticking out the top, and a (unused) loop for a bolt where the 'O' is
in the diagram above.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com