TR6 Starting Problems

To: teddera@MNSi.Net
Subject: TR6 Starting Problems
From: Rengrave@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:41:53 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks for hanging in their with me and offering me your experienced advice.
And thanks for sending the carb info, I can't wait to learn more about these
tricky carbs and solve this problem that I think is caused by the way I have
the carbs set.
Just to let you know , I did work on just one carb at a time being careful not
to interchange parts. I am going try to get the engine running so I can spray
some carb cleaner around the gasket between the intake manifold and the engine
to see if  I do indeed have a  leaky manifold gasket. I know that I took a
chance on keeping the old gasket, but I did not want to take off the cast iron
exhaust manifold which shares the same gasket. Do you think a leaky intake
manifold gasket would prevent the car from starting? The mix seems rich, I am
thinking that maybe by cleaning the carbs, I may have gotten rid of some
"good" buildup around the needle orifice which may have helped to lean out the
carbs. Now that the orifice and the needles are clean, more fuel gets by the
needles. (Do you think this could have happened? Should I but thicker
Needles?)
Some of my hoses going to the carbon canister are somewhat hard, but the car
always started with no trouble so I will leave them alone for now.
Yes, I do have the thermal vacuum switch on the top hose from the radiator to
the thermostat which has three connections on it (the middle one is not
connected to anything). From what I could find out from other 73 owners and
from catalogs, the middle connection does not connect to anything.
The washers on my needles are set flush with the bottom of my air valves, I
will try turning them lean (In or CCW) one half a turn at a time to see if it
makes starting any easier.

Thanks again, I will let you know how I make out.

Wayne