TR 250/ TR 6 Fuel Tank Install Question

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR 250/ TR 6 Fuel Tank Install Question
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:02:04 -0500
Esteemed Fellow Restorers,

   I am reinstalling the fuel tank on my TR 250, and have an
originalty question.  There  are two felt strips (pn 611972 and
611973, plate AJ) that I'm not sure where they are supposed to
go.  It has been a while since I removed the tank, but I don't re-
call there being any felt strips on it then.
  I presume the bottom one runs between the two foam circular seals
(pn 611733), and cushions the tank as it rests on the floor.  The top
felt strip has me puzzled though.  I don't know if it runs along the top
in between the filler hole and the guage sending unit (which seems like
a dangerous thing if either of these weeps fuel- think wick), or on the
top forward of the flange seam.  This is a straight run side to side, and
seems more likely.
  I also wonder why a top strip was installed.  The bottom I understand-
it prevents chafing between the tank and floor, but the top of the tank
dosen't touch anything, so why would there be need for a "mounting felt"??

TIA,

                                     JOE IV
                                     TR 250
                      WALLINFORD, CT. USA