TR6 Started today

To: teddera@MNSi.Net
Subject: TR6 Started today
From: Rengrave@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:50:14 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks, I will look for those throttle shaft seals tomorrow, I think I know
what they look like.
I started the six today and it kept running. While it was running, I balanced
the air suction with the unisyn tool with engine running at about 2000 RPM.
Then I shut off engine and looked at the plugs which had two out of six
showing a rich (black plug) mixture. I cleaned all the plugs and turned needle
adjustment CCW (leaner) about half a turn on both carbs. Started the car
without much trouble this time and turned each idle screw (with linkage
attached and locked) to lower idle down near 1000 RPM. The I lifted the air
valve on each carb one at a time about 1/8" to see what happens to the exhaust
note. The engine idled down and wanted to die, so I think this means that my
mixture is still to "rich" ?? I also took the car for a quick spin around the
block (without the air filters on) and the car did not seem to have much
power, probably because the carbs are still not set right.
Then I also noticed a very troubling new problem; I had NO oil pressure on my
dash pressure gauge? I shut off the engine and checked the dipstick, it showed
full. I started the engine again and checked the small plastic oil tube
connected to the block, looking for any splits or leaks (this tube was split a
few months ago and I cut it back and reconnected it).
Before the carb rebuild, the gauge was showing a low pressure reading of 10-20
psi at 1000 RPM idle and about 50 psi at higher revs. Is the oil pressure
related somehow to the carbs ? Or is it just a coincidence that my oil pump or
main bearing wear just happened to show me no oil pressure just when I get my
car running again?
I am going to check the pressure right at the block with another gauge to
confirm the dash gauge reading.
I hope the dash gauge is lying to me.

Wayne