Retard Timing

To: Tomislav Marincic <TomAndKate@compuserve.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Retard Timing
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 15:29:02 -0500
Tom,

Regarding your questions to Brian, I think you are both essentially
correct, but coming at it from different directions.  You are
talking about idle settings, but Brian was saying that you adjust your
distributor to give best performance at speed (higher revs).  Than if
that means that you have screwed up the idle advance settings, then you need
to re-curve your distributor so that it will give you the advance you need
at speed while ALSO giving the desired advance/retard at idle.

How you re-curve your diustributer is up to you.  You can keep the
same weights and change the springs or you can keep the springs and change the
weights, or you can change both.  It does not matter because the effect is
the same, springs have a roughly linear force to stretch ratio (F=-KX).  So
you can change the F by changing the weights or you can change the K by
changing the springs, but what you need to get is a certain X at a certain
engine speed.

Hope this clears up the advance issues...
-Tony
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net