Re: Oil Pressure in TR6

To: Rengrave@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure in TR6
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:27:38 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, teddera@MNSi.Net
On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 Rengrave@aol.com wrote:

> the half way mark when cold. But now I notice that as the engine warms up to
> normal operating temperature, the oil pressure drops down to "0 psi". and when
> I rev the engine I hear what appears to be a rocker noise (oil starved).
> Does this mean it is time to drop the oil pan and replace the big-end main
> bearings and while I am at it, the thrust washers? Or is there something else
> I should check which might be causing this low oil pressure?

Yes, the oil pump!  It's accessible while the pan is off for the bearings.

Either problem could cause low pressure; a failed oil pump is the worse of
two evils.

Also ensure that there is enough oil in the engine!  And further, if your
carbs have leaked gasoline into the sump, the oil will be thin, and hard
for the pump to circulate it.  Smell the oil on the dipstick, and rub it
between your fingers.  If you smell gas, and / or the oil is real thin,
change it first.  Then see if your pressure is back.

> Can anyone direct me to a good site with step by step instructions for doing
> the big-end main bearing replacement job right?

Shane Ingate's done this, but I haven't heard his report yet.  If and when
it appears, I will either link it to the FAQ or just cut&paste it in.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm