Re: TR6 Springs

To: here@best.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Springs
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 15:18:39 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

You asked: If I change the rear springs, do I have to change the fronts?

In short. No.

However you did not tell us how you intend to use the car. I will say that
the stiffer rear with the stock fronts does lead to some interesting
handling issues, but when I did this with my '74 TR6 (CF14111U), the car
got to be very neutral when I put the blue springs on the front. And the
urethane bushings too. Prior to adding the fronts, when I was just running
the rears, the car was a little tail happy, but more so when driving in the
wet.

I have driven 10's of thousands of miles with this setup (the blues all
around and poly bushings everywhere). It is not that much of a harsher ride
than stock. And the car handles way better when I auotcross it (as opposed
to the stock setup.)

I'll add that the car won't tend to get too tail happy until you put in a
big swaybar in the back. You can counteract that by putting in a limited
slip. ;-) Oh, and you want a bigger bar on the front too.

As you may have guessed - you're heading down a path that has a lot of
opportunites. I hope your bank account and/or credit rating are in good order.

Good luck,
rml
TR6's