Re:BIG engine, little car [formerly MAXI-Mini!!!]

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re:BIG engine, little car [formerly MAXI-Mini!!!]
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 13:03:20 -0800
Cc: DANMAS@aol.com, fergie@ntplx.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Curry wrote:

> Dan,
> I could imagine cramming a V8 in to a Mini.
>
> First order of business is to rip out all the interior and move the
> front seating to where the back was and then install the engine and
> fabricate a firewall somewhere in the former passenger compartment.
>
> That would mean the driveshaft would be extremely short.  It like the
> Cheetah of earlier days, the tranny could be coupled to the differential
> by a single U-Joint.
>
> Interesting Thought, but I don't think I am man enough to drive
> something like that at any appreciable speed.
>
> Joe

A good friend of mine owns an AH Bugeye sprite with a 5.0 Mustang
motor. It is his daily driver (his only car these days), and it does
drive at appreciable speeds on straights and corners ;-)
Of course they did have to convert it to RHD so the steering
would work with only a couple of u joints.
The drive shaft is about 6 inches, with a 3 speed automatic (gasp)
coupled to a narrowed Z rearend. The only hints of it's true
nature are the big tires, flared fenders, and the single three inch pipe
sticking out the back. Oh and it doesn't quite sound like a 948 CC.

And no, it doesn't ever ride on a trailer.

Many a P and even F car has got a nasty surprise from this
little beast.

But it seems to me a hopped up japanese front wheel drive
setup (maybe a 200+ hp sentra SER ?) might be more to the point
in a mini.
--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com