Re: Tie rod ends - rubber gaiters.

To: Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tie rod ends - rubber gaiters.
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 17:14:55 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< One of the rubber boots on the steering rack is torn wide open and I am
about
 to replace both. I have never done this, nor have I messed with tie rod ends.
 My initial assumption - after inspection - was that I would need to demove
the
 tie rods ends and slide the boots off that way. Is this so?

Yes, this is so.

 What is the best way to do this? Nothing else really needs to be done in this
 area so the shortest and cleanest way to go would be most appreciated.

You need one of those tie rod end pullers, kinda like a gear puller, to remove
the tie rod ends. Do not recommend the fork thing. All you do is pull the tie
rod ends, take the clips/wire off the old shrouds, and pull 'em off. Assembly
is pretty much the reverse procedure. You will have to re-align the front end
when you're done.
It may sound like blasphemy to some but I think I used zip ties on the larger
end of the shroud when I did this some time back on my TR4.

 In responding, please go into a little detail and feel free to state the
 obvious - never assume what is obvious to you will have been so obvious to
me.
 TIA.

 Be careful with the tie rod ends unless you're replacing them. Also one of
the threads to the TR ends might be reverse thread - can't recall for sure -
just check it before you apply the gorilla torque! Also good idea to replace
the rubber gaiters on the TR ends.
                                         JMac >>
Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A