Re: TR6 trouble today-I found the problem!

To: Chad Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 trouble today-I found the problem!
From: bjohnson@mmm.com
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:22:18 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Chad

I  should have realised when I saw your problem -  I had a similar  thing
happen with my TR4   -    I used the gas tank sealer in 1992  well before I
completed my rebuild. I didn't put any petrol in until at least a year
after I had sealed it.  I had followed  the instructions very carefully and
for several years it all worked OK.       Then  - one day  in 1996  I was
passing  an MGB or something similar when the engine gave a cough but
carried on anyway.      After  quite a few similar incidents, sometimes the
engine cutting out altogether, I looked into my  tank, and I could see that
the sealer was coming off the sides  in small curls.    I have a  petrol
cut off valve in my system, and when I took the tank out, the sealer had
collected at this point, thus reducing the flow.     I thoroughly washed
out the tank and put it back in.     I even went over to Ireland in the
car,   but several weeks after I got back, it started its tricks again.
I decided there was only one answer, and bought a new tank.     The
supplier sent me a TR5/6 tank but I made some mods and it fitted.    I have
had no petrol problems since.

So the moral to everyone -  if you use gas tank sealer  you should look
into the tank every so often so see if it is still sticking to the walls of
the tank - otherwise  you may have problems passing that MGB !!!!

Anyone want a second hand TR4 fuel tank ?

Cheers
Brian Johnson

Internet     bjohnson@mmm.com

1963  TR4   AFP503A / IZS 733  - CT27216-L  (now not L)  ex USA - on the
road since 1993
1954  TR2   46 BHX        TS554-O   in lots of pieces

Why are so many Triumph owners called Brian ?

Chad Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net> on 08/11/98 14:56:34

Please respond to Chad Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>