TR4 Vacuum Advance

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 Vacuum Advance
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 05:21:59 EST
Thanks to those of you on the list who helped me get back to a 'stock' vacuum
advance unit for my Lucas distributor.
6 out of 8 of you early TR4 owners reported your vacuum units read 2-6-3
#54415329. (2) is for amount of vacuum required to start advancement  (6) is
amount of vacuum for full advancement and (3) is the amount of total
advancement possible in degrees.
Luckily I had recently found a shop that has 20 plus years of NOS parts for
Jags Triumph  and MGs (a few parts left anyway) and I bought his last new/old
2-6-3 vacuum for $30. Now my distributor is fully rebuilt and back to stock
for total of $60.
For those of you with different unit numbers - they aren't neccessarily wrong
as there are various configurations between weights/springs advance etc. but
the 2-6-3 looks to be the original vacuum unit. One way to be sure of correct
'advancing' is to follow the Moss Tech guy, Arvys' advice... "get the
'distributor curve' set to the workshop manual specs on a SUN machine and quit
foolin' around!"
Regards,
Carl
'64 TR4 since '74