Re: TR4A's

To: "King, James F Jr" <KingJF@corning.com>
Subject: Re: TR4A's
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:01:00 -0800
Cc: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi Jim...

I was faced with the same dilemna several years ago.

I wanted to pick up a second TR 4A...   I wanted a TR 4A that I could restore
quickly and use as a driver and enjoy... while the more serious, frame up
restoration went on for years....

I was looking for a TR 4A...  I finally found two, at the same time...

the pros and cons about the cars narrowed them down to being about the same in
value....And the same guy was selling them both.

One was IRS... the other was not.

My first 4A, 1977, age 15, was an IRS... and I restored it... and drove it for
many eyars...
My experience had been that the IRS was pretty solid... but I'd go through
U-joints now and then... and it was a hassle...  and there was always fears
that long studs holding the diff would give away.... but they didn't....

Nevertheless... I chose the solid axle for this car... because I wanted
reliability.

Driving the car is just as much a joy as my old IRS...   but I don't race
it...  so I couldn't tell you how much of an advantage or disadvantage the IRS
is.

Value-wise... the IRS is rather prized... but I think the values of the car are
similar... because...  the IRS gains value points for it's qualities...  and
the straight axle gains value points for it's simpleness and reliability... so
it's almost a push.

My advice...

Think about why you want the car.  Think about how much you want the car on the
road, working, as opposed to you working on it. Think about whether you care if
a small percentage of Triumph people snub you a litttle bit... because "oh,
it's not IRS"... (I don't care about such things.)   Think about whether you
want maximum handling... whether you'd be pushing the car that far that often
that much anyways... and whether a few seconds saved in the turns here or there
are going to matter... particularly if you're not racing.

I don't think the improvement in ride is that significant.... when it comes to
just driving around town.   Sure, the IRS probably handles potholes and bumps
better.... but do you count those as you drive along?  I don't.

Anyways...

Food for thought.  Both cars are good.  The one in storage for restoration is
an IRS.

--Justin