Re: Loctite?

To: " (Richard Triplett)" <rtriplett@bjservices.com>
Subject: Re: Loctite?
From: Joe Sholtes IV <joeiv@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 20:56:56 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

" (Richard Triplett)" wrote:

> This discussion on using Loctite for lubrication, accurate torqueing, and
> thread locking got me wondering, can it be used on head bolts?

I went to the website (www.loctite.com), and they made no mention of
usage for head bolts.  I had a loctite representative come to where I work,
to "certify" us for loctite usage, and I don't remember him mentioning this
application.   I would NOT recommend using loctite for head bolts or nuts,
for reasons you'll see below.

> I put mine
> together dry, but using a thread sealer may keep the bolts from needing
> re-tightening periodically.

  The reason headbolts/studs are re-torqued is not because the un-thread
themselves, it's because the bolts/studs stretch after many heating cooling
cycles.  If you loctite them, they will still stretch, but now you will be
unable
to acurately re-tourque them, with all the plasticized thread locker creating
drag and messing up your torque wrench readings.

> Another question along the same lines, can the
> head nuts be loosened and sealed, then re-tightened one at a time without
> danger of warping the head?

 No, that is why headbolts/nuts should be UNLOOSENED in a specific,
criss crossing pattern (usually found in a  good repair manual).

> Just wondering,

> Richard Triplett

That is how good ideas sometimes get started

                      JOE IV
                      TR 250
     WALLINGFORD, CT.USA