What I have learned about the A/C pulley

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: What I have learned about the A/C pulley
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:30:38 -0500charset="Windows-1252"
Thanks to all for the comments on the A/C pulley adapter.  Here is what I
have learned.  The cross member should not need to be modified to make the
adapter fit.  There are two problems that arise that might make modifying
the cross-member the solution.

There are a variety of motor mounts out there.  Some of the motor mounts
allow the motor to be mounted back or forth a half inch or so depending on
whether you go "inside" or "outside" on the bracket.  Naturally this affects
the space between the fan and the radiator.

The original adapter contemplated the use of the (now not available) red
fan.  The older, but still available, 7 or 8 blade will fit on the adapter,
but runs it into the radiator.  The solution is to pull the spacer from the
crank (that goes under the cross-member) and replace it with the spacer from
a GT-6.  This allows the fan to fit without running into the radiator, but
is solid and won't fit under the cross-member.  Its also shorter and the
pulley doesn't fit without mod to the cross-member. A suitable crush of the
cross-member and it all fits together.

One solution (which I will try in the A.M.) is to use the Stag fan instead
of the red one.  It appears to be about an inch and a half bigger in radius
than the red one and fits the adapter for the late red fan.  If further
appears that the closest thing to the fan is the bottom radiator hose at
about 3 inches.  Thus, it appears that the Stag fan is a suitable
replacement for the red one and that all that works with the original spacer
allowing the cross-member to not require modification.

With A/C a bit bigger fan won't hurt.  With some of the over heating
problems some people have this might be an inexpensive remedy. Anyway, for
those interested that is what my research has discovered.  Some of the
information came from a guy at a nearby LBC repair shop who was a dealer
mechanic back when there were dealers.  He remembers the A/C unit coming out
and having to swap fans to retro fit the older sixes.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK