Re: Boy Racer Subject #45: Ram Pipes?

To: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Boy Racer Subject #45: Ram Pipes?
From: Mike Thompson <miket@urgrgcc.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:29:22 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin and the rest of the class,

1. Please address what ram pipes are - A ram pipe is put in place of an air
filter
although some may work inside an air box. Most don't. They are supposed to
increase horsepower and come in different lengths and shapes.
2. how they work - They make a smooth transition between the air and carb.
Instead
of having a hard edge on the carb causing turbulance, you have a nice smooth
funnel at the entrance to the carb. This reduction in turbulance translates to
more air thus more oxygen to burn. The differences in shape are dependant on
cc's,
rpm and air velocity.
3. whether they are desirable - Yes, under short term when power is paramount,
but
I wouldn't run them 100% of the time as anything that can fit into the carb can
be
swallowed up by your engine. I must admit in my younger days I ran ram pipes
most
of the time with no real problems.
--
Cheers,