Re: New tonneau cover

To: Bill_Eley@AIMFUNDS.COM
Subject: Re: New tonneau cover
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:29:24 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< I ordered a new tonneau cover for my 62 TR4 from Moss this week which was
 arrive today.  Imagine my excitement - I'll go home, snap it on, and drive
 the car to work tomorrow!  Not quite.  The snaps and studs have to be
 installed in the tonneau first.  No instructions.  No tools. I would really
 appreciate any advice on the installation and fitting of a new tonneau (and
 the inherent pitfalls) from anyone who's been there.  Thanks.

Bill
First find centerline of the rear edge. Measure the distance between the
middle 2 studs on car and locate them equal distance from center. Punch 2
small holes and make sure they are correct. Install these 2 lift the dots
(punch a 1/4" hole and then "mark" the surrounding vinyl with the prongs.
punch holes where the marks are, and bend over the prongs thru the plate on
other side). I like to orient the ltd's so they all face one direction -
sideways - so they will all pop out with a pull from one direction, kinda like
a zipper. With the 2 fasteners on now stretch the top forward to insure enough
to cover the front snaps. Now stretch the top over the remaining studs and one
at a time punch a hole big enough to go over the stud. Work from closest to
center towards the outside and the towards the front. After all studs are
located by a hole you can take it off and install the remaining ltd's off of
the car - much easier! The front snaps are located in much the same way, but a
special tool is highly recommended to put these on. A local leather goods
store will have them as well as some hardware/home improvement type stores.
Bring one or two with you to make sure you get the right type.
A top will shrink with cold and expand when warm - factor this in when you fit
it. In general you don't want it too tight and too loose is generally not
possible with the tops I've seen lately.
Hope this helps

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B