Re: TR4: Oil pressure feed pipe & tatooed stud

To: wdaehler@execpc.com
Subject: Re: TR4: Oil pressure feed pipe & tatooed stud
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:21:13 -0600
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Will,

I just went outside and unscrewed the stud that that feeds the gauge on my
TR4.  The reason it works is because the hole in the filter housing for the
stud is oversized so oil flows around it up into the pipe fitting.  Seems
strange but it must work.

Hope this helps.

> I'm putting the oil filter head back on the TR4 block.  Pulling four
> fasteners out of the ziplock bag, where they had been carefully stored
> fifteen months earlier.
>
> Three bolts, all of different lengths, turn in like flint, and then
> comes the challenge: the stud and the oil pressure pipe hardware.  The oil
> pipe and brass slip ring feeds the oil pressure gage.  There's two copper
> washers, and a stud,  and an acorn nut for the balance of hardware.
>
> I can't believe this is the right stud.  It looks like a normal 5/16 th
> stud with fine thread on one end and course on the other.  I threaded it
> into the block.  How is the pressure of engine oil supposed to slip out to
> the ring on the oil feed hose?  Osmosis?  Telepathy?  This stud is way too
> short anyway.  By the time all the hardware is assembled, there is nothing
> left for the acorn to grab onto.
>
> The Moss TR4 catalog is no help.  Every piece of hardware is listed and
> available, except this stud.  Balloon #39 is missing.  That the part I
> need.  Missing for a good reason I bet.
>
> The stud I would expect to see would be a specialized one.  Machined in
> some way.  Like hollowed out, or slotted, drilled, turned or milled. Or in
> some way tatooed.
>
> Can anyone help?

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs

1964  Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire Mk4
1962 TR4 CT288L                -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108