Core Plugs - how to seal them?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Core Plugs - how to seal them?
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:19:51 +0000
Comments: ( Received on motgate2.mot.com from client pobox.mot.com, sender daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com )
Hi,
        I replaced several core plugs on my 1964 Herald 1200s Engine around 2
years ago. These are the early, slightly domed type, rather than the
later dished variety. Most were OK, but a couple have weeped slightly,
so last week I removed the 2 offending core plugs (they are the 2 fitted
behind the distributor) and fitted new ones. I used Blue Hylomar as a
sealing agent. A week later, the new core plugs are weeping. What am I
doing wrong? Is there a better sealant to use behind the plugs? After
owning around 30 Triumphs and 10 years of maintenance experience, I
thought I knew how to do just about every job on these cars. Any advice
gratefully received,
        Cheers,
                Bill.
--