TR6 Valve problem

To: Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Valve problem
From: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 10:41:22 -0500
I'm stumped. My TR began to run badly as if it had a valve problem, so I
decided to check the valve lash yesterday. ( I thought maybe I had
broken a valve spring )  In running through the sequence, I noticed that
the # 8 valve did not travel as far as the others. The adjuster
appeared  to be set the same as the others. After setting the valves, I
started the engine and watched the pathetic action of the #8 valve and
attempted to adjust it while running, but it killed the engine. Could I
have a bad lifter or a bad lobe on the cam?  Anyone have an opinion as
to the problem?

I'm not wild about yanking the head as it will probably be 2 months or
longer before I'll have the time and garage space to get into it.

TIA for the advice,

Jeff Johnson
'76 TR6