Re: TR3A wiring

To: tbotts@mail.vii.com
Subject: Re: TR3A wiring
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 21:49:08 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Have so far been a silent reader of the list, but now need some
 advise/information. Am reassembling my TR3A (2 years apart), and have
 found two wiring unknowns.
 FIRST, there is a black wire, connected to a grounding terminal, coming
 out of both front sub-harnesses that lead down to the headlights.
 Question is where they bolt on to the body, and does anything else plug
 into the second socket on each?
There's a black ground wire that comes from the headlamps, and also a black
ground wire from the parking lamps. These should have a bullet connector on
the ends and plug into a grounding clip located just behind and below the horn
mounts. Although as a practical matter the parking lamps will often function
fine w/o the ground. As to how you connect these wires to ground is up to you,
and a bolt thru an eye terminal to the body anywhere will work.

 SECOND-according to the wiring diagrams, there should be four wires
 running up the stator tube to the control head. Problem is that that
 harness has been opened right at the steering box, and the green/white
 wire does not go up the tube. It had obviously been changed on purpose,
 but I can no longer remember if it was connected to something, or just
 left dangling. So, should the other end of that green/white be
 disconnected at the "horn junction". Two wires on the opposite side of
 the car (at the other "horn junction") have always been disconnected.
 Again, back 2 years ago, before I took things apart, all the electricals
 worked. So, any clue as to what modification was made, why, and how to
 put all back into working order.

There's a green wire going up to the control head that is "hot". When you
operate the turn signal switch the green connects to either a green/white or
green/red wire (depending on left or right turn) which goes back down the
stator tube and out to the lights. If your G/W wire is cut at the stator tube
opening, I bet you don't have turn signals on one side and you may be causing
a short when you turn it on if the G/W wire is grounding on the stator tube.
The fourth wire is brown - for the horns.
My guess is you need to pull the stator tube and put in a new harness with all
four wires - easier said than done.
As far as the G/W & G/R wires coming out of the main harness near the horns,
yes they need to be connected together. On the passenger side you just connect
the two using a 4-way plug.

Hope this helps

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A