Shall we start the Miata thread again?- A story

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Shall we start the Miata thread again?- A story
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:29:10 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
O listers!
 I am happy happy happy.

Y'see, November 28 is, as often as not, white and blizzardy here in Mighty
Winterpeg.  However,  Ninohead has refused to leave and apart from a dusting
of an inch or so at Hallow'een we have seen no white.  I raked my boulevard
again Thursday in short sleeves (about 50 deg in 'Merican).

Now,  a good friend of mine (who bought a 91 BRG/Tan leather M@#$a because
he wanted a "year round sportscar that was reliable) moved yesterday and of
course I was party to the party.

'And guess who flogged said mazda all over the city, 2 days before December,
TOP DOWN ?!?.... In Canada.  In the Winter.

Sadly, we have all already fitted our ice radials to our "reliable" cars so
I had not the pleasure of a a fresh set of Yokohama A 520's but rather a
fresher set of Guardex 600 ice tires.

Northern Americans will understand when I say snow tires handle like
inflated marshmallows on dry pavement in the warm and yesterday was no
exception except the roads are quite greasy still from the road goo that
never was washed away in fall rains.

I would own one of these Mazdas without question!  In fact, I think that
their sound and performance might just make the 1600 cc twinkie motor a
great candidate for a spitfire swap.  Gutless until revs applies, then
buzzes like an angry sewing machine.  Yes, I would install one of the blower
kits to get 180 bhp ASAP (you can buy "handling" , too).  the heater worked
effortlessly to keep me warm (so did the waving people who had apparently
never seen a Miata with its top down), the headrest speakers were great
"fill", fantastic gearbox and ratios.

Pop up headlights suck.

Snowtires do not stick on a RWD car in the warm.  This car is so well
balanced though, that I performed several 30-40 mph "bit of opposite lock 4
wheel powerslides" effortlessly with no previous experience  in the car
(well, I drove one in 1990 - that was the last time).   It sure helped that
the car could only generate about .6G with those tires but HEY I HAD FUN !!!

Now, lest you all think I am abandoning the fold in favor of JapCrap, rest
easy.  It won't happen.  Nothing can compare to the rude, crude,
unpredictable, demanding character of a Blueblood LBC.  But, when my VW dies
(someday maybe it will) The Miata has just jumped several notched up the
ladder on my might buy list.  And the convertibleness is a big part of that
jump.  Damn I miss my big TR's.

Dave in Winterpeg