Re: CD player

To: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>, Triumph Digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: CD player
From: Loren Williams <lsw@southwind.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:33:22 -0600
Brad asked:

> Would any of you have any experience using CD changers that use an FM
> modulator to broadcast a signal to the FM radio in your car?

I've had one in my Saturn since it was 3 days old.  Mine is a 6 disc Alpine
that fits nicely in my glove box with the control unit mounted where the
ashtray used to be.

The advantage to this type of system is that I have a factory AM/FM radio in
the dash and that's all that's visible... not very attractive to a potential
thief.

> If so, how well do they work?

If you find FM quality sound to be acceptable, they work great.  If you want
true CD quality... obviously, you won't get it through your FM radio.

> Any problems?

When it was first installed, they had the gain set so that the volume was at
the same level as a regular radio station... makes sense.  But it severely
distorted high frequency sounds. (most specifically, the cymbals in Roxanne by
the Police)  I tweaked the gain adjustment down to the point that the
distortion faded and I've been happy since then.  The volume of my CD's is
significantly lower than the radio volume, however.  And the max volume from
the CD isn't as loud as the radio gets (ie:  ear splitting).  But it works
great.  I think it's skipped 3 times that I can remember, on very harsh bumps
when it's cold.

--

          Loren Williams - #59 CSP-light 1994 Saturn SC2
   Homepage (Who Cares?) - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw