Re: Fuel Catalyst

To: "Ryan. Philip" <Philip.Ryan@mail.esb.ie>
Subject: Re: Fuel Catalyst
From: Bill Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 14:52:05 +0000
Cc: "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Comments: ( Received on ftpbox.mot.com from client pobox.mot.com, sender daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com )
Hi Phil,
        Firstly, I don't have any experience, god or bad of fuel catalysts. I
have, however, done a little research of my own, following several
mailshots from some of the companies marketing these products. I have
received these through "The Atlas Register", which as a recognised
Classic Vehicle organisation (however small it may be!), attracts the
attention of these companies. The points I have noted are as follows:

1
The only evidence that these work has been by testimonial of satisfied
customers. NONE of the companies which has contacted me has provided any
evidence of tests by any scientific method. Anyone who has read what
John Kipping (amongst others) has to say about unleaded fuel and lead
deposits on valve seats (from previous use of leaded fuel) will realise
that most people will not suffer from valve seat recession (in the short
term at least). I also understand that at least one of these companies
is being dragged through the courts at present over their
unsubstantiated claims.

2
Some companies claim that Hawker Hurricane aircraft flown by the
Russians during World War 2 were able to use low grade fuel by the
addition of these mysterious metal pellets to the fuel tanks. This may
be true (it is a story I had heard long before these products were
marketed), however, I expect the engines in my Triumphs to outlast those
of combat aircraft! Basically, there may be some proof that the Octane
rating is increased somehow, but I wouldn't treat this as evidence
against valve recession.

3
One of the mailshots I received claimed to be from the company who made
ALL of these products for the different companies marketing them. Given
the subtly different claims made for each of these products, that makes
me suspicious.

4
Finally, my wife is a development chemist. At a Classic Car event last
year, she engaged a sales representative for these products in a
discussion over their benefits. Most of the argument was well over my
head, and indeed that of the sales rep (I'm an engineer, not a
Scientist! What's his excuse?), however, my wife was TOTALLY dismissive
of the claims made. I trust her judgement in this instance.

        So make up your own mind. I'm not saying they don't work (though my
wife does!), I just don't intend to take the risk on any of my cars. I
have more confidence in the fuel additives which are beginning to
appear. Even with those, I will wait as long as possible for some
independent test results to become available.
        Regards,
                Bill.

--
                            This Message sent by: