Re: TR6 gearbox cover

To: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 gearbox cover
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 19:32:16 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> I have several questions:
>
> I bought, years ago, a fiberglass gearbox cover from I dunno who...
> probably Moss.  I still have it on the car, although I've always had
> trouble with the way it fits (or doesn't, as the case may be).  I wonder if
> the "space age plastic" gearbox cover sold by TRF is really as good as Mr.
> Runyan boasts.  (oops... dancing on the edge of more Runyan-bashing there!
> Sorry!)

The answer is a resounding "YES"!  At least for the Spit one.  The fact
that it is flexible makes it more easily shaped to fit the not quite
standard holes in out Triumphs.

> Secondly, after changing my clutch several years ago I ordered from TRF all
> of the hardware for installing the cover, as well as the rubber seals.
> Pictured in the TR6 catalog were what appeared to be MOLDED strips of
> rubber that were shaped to fit the curves and straights that the seal would
> have to follow.  Naturally, this is what I expected to receive, but what
> TRF sent me was some cheap, perfectly STRAIGHT stips of rubber that didn't
> even have any holes in them for the bolts.  (This has always stuck in my
> craw!) Well, my question really is, has anyone managed to make their own
> seals for this that are cut to shape?  What materials would be convenient,
> inexpensive, easy to work with and effective all at the same time?

Yes again.  I made seals out of a 2 inch wide roll of sticky-back foam
seal.  It was easy to cut to shape and poke holes into at the correct
place.  It can be obtained from anywhere that sells pickup canopies.  It
is commonly used to seal between the canopy and the bed sides.

Regards,
Joe

--
  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer