Re: Done the danged dimmer dance

To: mysmithnc@worldnet.att.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Done the danged dimmer dance
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 21:31:02 EST
In a message dated 98-12-05 20:09:50 EST, mysmithnc@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Has anyone converted to a column mounted switch?  It doesn't seem like a
>  difficult project, but I've been Lucas bit before.

Mike,

It's not at all difficult, as the later TR6 had the dimmer on the column. The
only problem is, the later TR6 also moved the main lighting switch to the
dash, replacing the WS washer switch, which was combined into one with the
wiper switch. If you are willing to add a seperate main lighting switch, the
TR6 dimmer switch just replaces the lighting switch you now have on the column
- remove four screws (2 for the escutchens and 2 for the switch), take the old
one out, put in the new, and refasten the four screws.

In my very much hybrid TR6/V8, I am using the later dimmer switch on the
column, and a GM main lighting switch on an aluminum switch plinth I made to
replace the #*!#@&%$ locking steering igntion plinth. The GM switch also has
the dash light dimmer built in, so I replaced the dash dimmer with a clock.

A little rewiring will be required, and you'll have to find a place for the
new main switch, but it's really pretty easy to do.

TR4A owners correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm of the impression that the
steering column was the same as the TR6 column?

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74