TR3 Cranking rpm SUCCESS!

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 Cranking rpm SUCCESS!
From: Gbouff@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 11:29:50 EST
In my previous correspondance I had stated that even after I cleaned up the
starter and refinished the armature, the starter still turned over slowly.
Well, after performing some of the lister's suggestions to no avail, I decide
to re-read the sevice manual.  The sentence " make sure the spring tension is
correct" gave me that "what did I forget feeling".  Sure enough, one of the
springs was hung up on the side of the sleeve for the brush.  It now turns
over like a champ.  So much for my automotive electrical expertise!

With the additional turning rpms I attempted to start the engine this morning.
After being in storage for 25 years, I wasn't sure what would happen,
especially since I have the engine out of the car and on a stand.

With a little help from some ether, it started.  I ran it for about a minute
before shutting it down, as I didn't want to overheat it.  As the speedo shows
42,000 miles I was hoping that the engine would be solid, which now appears to
be the case.  Even after all the years there was hardly any blue smoke, no
rapping or excessive noise in the lower engine area, just noisy lifters which
I expected.

With the above in mind, I was going to pull the head, clean it up and decarb
it, and put it back together.  Or as a alternate, I was thinking about a total
rebuild on the head.  After performing one of the above, I would check out the
engine compression, as it has some variation which I think is related to
sticking valves.  If the compression is fine I would then run the engine until
I get a better feeling as to it's dependability.

Listers, what do you think?  Does the above sound reasonable, or am I just
asking for trouble?

Gary Bouffard
TS 58399