Thanks / update /starter question

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Thanks / update /starter question
From: Tom Rollins <tom@ntcs-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:09:51 -0600 charset="iso-8859-1"
Greetings listers,

In light of a recent post, I just wanted to express my thanks to those who
responed to my plea for help on my clutch woes.  I was alarmed when I
realized after the installation on my engine and gearbox, that I couldn't
move the clutch lever manually, before I installed the clutch hydraulics.
Since, I have been informed that I shouldn't be able to due to the force
involved.  I still have yet to rebuild my clutch hydraulics since I found
light corrosion in my master cylinder and will have to get it honed.

I did get the ancillaries for the engine installed to the point that I was
ready for startup.  After checking all the fluids I disconnected the coil
wire planning to turn the engine over to build oil pressure before actual
startup.  I turned the key and loud click.  I assume that the relay in
solenoid is the click and that the starter is bad.  It sat unused for 5
years and may have been bad at the time, I'm just not sure.  After I remove
it from the car, what is procedure for testing?  Can I jumper it in some way
from the battery?  I am fairly sure of my diagnosis, but I don't want to
shell out $130 for a starter if I don't need to.

Regards,

Tom Rollins
1969 GT-6+
1972 TR-6