Re: Knock sensors and vacuum retard distributors (LONG)

To: "Bob Hutton" <bob@calc.com.au>, "triumphs@autox. team. net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Knock sensors and vacuum retard distributors (LONG)
From: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 18:37:16 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
>List,
>
>Has anyone any thoughts on the possibility of using a 'knock sensor' in
>conjunction with a vacuum retard distributor? How, I don't know yet.
>
>It occurred to me that it would be nice to have a distributorless ignition
>with a knock sensor to retard it as needed, but that seems too difficult.
>Hence, my question above.

A 'knock sensor' is an electronic device and sends out electrical signals,
so you would need something to read and interpret these signals.  Then send
the information to something that will control the vacuum to the
distributor.  That distributorless ignition is looking simpler all the time.
For this you need a timing wheel and 'Hall Effect' sensor and an ECU.  I
would check out either MSD or Jacobs' ignitions.  It seems to me it would be
more simple to apply the latter than the former.

Ron and Angie - Dalton, Ga
84 300ZX Turbo    77 Spitfire      92 Tempo GLS    62 Vitesse
IZCC# 4779
"I gotta go, you're killing me!" - Kim Peterson, WGST 105.7, Atlanta