RE: Starter rebuilds

To: "'Malcolm Walker'" <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Starter rebuilds
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 12:17:57 -0600
Malcom,

I'm not sure which model you're working with.....

A starter rebuild itself isn't too difficult, provided you have all the
correct tools (lath for cleaning commutator contacts, good ohmeter to check
winding, busing installers, etc).  Something everyone has in their workshop
:)

However, there are several reasons why your starter might be sluggish...

1)  Battery running low
        a)  water level low?
        b)  electrical "leak" somewhere in the system
        c)  generator/alternator not charging properly (doesn't sound like
this if the car is "ok" the day after running)

2)  resistance at connections from battery to starter
        a)  Battery terminal leads clean and tight?
        b)  connections at solenoid clean and tight?
        c)  connection at starter clean and tight?

3)  Bad cable (not highly likely, but not impossible)

4)  Solenoid not making good contact internally.

The best way to troubleshoot is to get a voltmeter (cheap one is ok) and
start checking voltages, starting at the battery.  At rest the battery
should show somewhere between 12.5v to 13.5v.. much less than the 12.5 and
somethings not right.   Then start testing down the electical path,
finishing with testing on the starter post while cranking the starter.  If
while cranking the voltage drops much below 10v then there's a problem
upstream of the starter.

If the problem seems to be the starter, can I suggest a rebuilt unit instead
of trying to rebuild your unit?  I've rebuilt DC motors since I was 10 yrs
old (slot cars anyone?) and after pulling apart the starter that came on my
'73 Spitfire (field lead fried and welded to the casing) I've been more than
happy to let the professional rebuilders have their money!

Locally I've been getting quotes of $80 USD to rebuild... but last time I
looked at British Parts Northwest (blatant plug!) they had the Spitfire
starter at $48 usd + exchange.   Now's the time of year that some of the
other suppliers have some specials... so it may not be much more painful
than all the pieces you were going to buy from Vicky B.

JMO.. of course!

Jim