rebuilding Crane ignition modules

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: rebuilding Crane ignition modules
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 98 14:03:48
Joe Curry advises:

>The Crane unit (while larger) is sealed and therefore cannot be
>serviced.  Like most devices of this sort, I'd bet that between the
>finned aluminum heatsink case and the circuit board, is packed with
>potting compound which would prevent service even if the top could be
>removed.

I agree, it is probably not "user servicable" (which doesn't stop
british car owners on other components, tho...)

>In short, it looks like a "throw-away".

But, it has a lifetime warranty, doesn't it?  Don't throw it away.  Crane
gracefully replaced mine when it went south.  If it dies within 6 months,
you send it back to Moss, VB, whomever you bought it from; if it makes
it more than 6 months, Crane will replace it., unless this warranty has
been dropped...

Ray

(I have three crane units)

Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.