Re: Quaife

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Quaife
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:02:27 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I have just received a reply from Quaife to my request for information
>and their reply was very enlightening.  Apparently they sell a
>differential without the Crown Gear and Pinion.  They said that the
>Spitfire gears will fit into their differential unit.
>
>I'd like feedback from anybody familiar with the unit as to how
>difficult it is to install and change these gears.
I have one in my Spitfire.  It will fit only the MK4, 1500, GT6, and small
nose TR7, and Vitesse family of housings, and will only accept gear sets
from 4.11 to 3.63.  3.27's require a different offset for the ring gear
mounting (about .10 thou closer to the outboard side of the case, which is
why you use different, shorter bolts with shallow heads, LocTite, and no
lock washers) and won't fit.  Other than that it's no different than
setting up a standard diff - which is quite a job in itself -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)