Re: TR4 Rear axle ratio?

To: "Eley, Bill W" <Bill_Eley@AIMFUNDS.COM>
Subject: Re: TR4 Rear axle ratio?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:45:11 -0500 ()
Cc: "'Triumph list'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Eley, Bill W wrote:

> How do I determine if my 62 TR4 has a 3.7 or 4.1 real axle (it has
> overdrive)?

Bill, assuming the axle in question has not been disturbed, its serial
number should yield the information:

CT for 3.7:1, BT for 4.1:1.

I'd bet on the latter if the car had overdrive as original equipment (O at
the end of the commission number).

To be sure, though, raise the rear of the car and place it on stands.
Temporarily stop one rear wheel from moving (have someone hold it, or
tighten the brake adjuster). Slowly turn the free wheel through one
revolution while someone counts the revolutions of the driveshaft at the
input flange of the rear axle (you could chalk or otherwise mark the
flange to make the counting easier). If the flange/driveshaft turns just
under four times, it's 3.7; if just over four times, it's 4.1.

--Andy