Re: British Racing Green

To: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Subject: Re: British Racing Green
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 01:07:34 -0700
Cc: "'Sumner Weisman'" <sweisman@gis.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Paige, Dean wrote:

> I read somewhere recently that the color that is hardest to see in bad
> conditions is silver/grey. Seems to me that the article also said this color
> car was involved in more U.S. accidents than any other. Naturally my XJ-6 is
> silver gray.
>
> Dean

Studies in the early `70s suggested that any shape painted in red was
the most difficult to see at night. It has something to do with the
transmission of certain wavelengths at low light levels. The same
studies suggested that lime green was most visible at night (the reason
for so many fire engines painted in that color these days). Red might
have been very symbolic of fire, hence fire engines being red, but it
wasn't very visible at night.

Cheers.