Re: TR6 clutch problem/Brake Fluids

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 clutch problem/Brake Fluids
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:09:05 -0600
Cc: tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

    Trmgafun> The advantage of silicone fluid (DOT 5), is that
    Trmgafun> when it gets on your paint job, it won't strip
    Trmgafun> the paint.  The disadvantage is that it is more
    Trmgafun> compressable than DOT 3 or 4, and your brakes
    Trmgafun> will feel a little more squishey.

There is a flip side to this.  Although DOT3 and DOT4 will
strip paint, they can also be removed (residue-wise) fairly
easily.  Silicone fluif will often soak into the paint and
5 years later when you re-paint if you don't strip it right
you'll get fisheyes.  Ask me how I know.  YMMV.

                                                        -MM

P.S. You should avoid "100-year" car polishes for the same
     reason.