Re: refitting Tenax stud

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: refitting Tenax stud
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:09:07 -0500 (EST)
I know it's been awhile and you have all been eagerly awaiting status on
the Tenax repair problem. Finally got it fixed yesterday.  I decided that
there is really a lot of stress put on those things from streching the top
over it, so putty type solutions would probably be real temporary.

 So I went for one of those threaded sleeve inserting tools which I got
from JC Whitney.  They are pretty expensive, about $60 bucks, but I always
wanted one and I can think of a few other uses.  It's the other hundred
dollars in "oh, that looks neat"  that really got me.

Anyway, a little practice and it was pretty easy to get a good looking a
solid repair.  Just one word of warning if you plan to try this at home,
the studs that I got from TRF will not work. The inserted sleeve is not
tapped for the full length, leaving a shoulder at least the thickness of
the material that it is being insrted into.  The TRF studs have an
extremely short threaded stud and will not reach beyond this shoulder.  I
had picked up a couple at a local upholsery shop that had a longer stud and
a courser thread and these worked well.

FWIW,
Bob