Re: Introduction and a first question

To: "K. Lee Lerner" <lerndesk@sprynet.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Introduction and a first question
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 23:24:06 -0800
K.
    Take the distributor cap off and look for a spark across the points
when you crank it.   If you don't see one, check the points, condensor and
interconnections.  Measure the voltage across the points.  Should jump to
12 volts when the contacts open.
    Then, remove the high voltage output of the coil and put a volt meter
with a high voltage, high impedance range across it and ground.  You should
be getting high voltage out of the coil. If so, look downstream, perhaps
the brush between the cap and rotor, for the problem.
   This will make more sense if you can find a schematic of a standard
coil/points/distributor system.  (I'm assuming that's what '67 Spits have.
John Cowan

At 02:47 PM 12/13/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Greeting fellow Triumph owners,
>
>My name is K. Lee Lerner, I am an astronomer and a teacher of mathematics.
 I am also the proud original owner of a 1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 made
for the North American market.  I've owned the car since college and have
recently decided to restore it for my son.  This is a new hobby for me and
I am acquiring experience and tools as I go.  I am certainly no expert.

>After a few years of inactivity in the garage a complete engine overhaul
brought the car back to productive life for several weeks.  Then while
working on dampening a vexing bonnet vibration the engine seemed to die --
just as it would if the car ran out of fuel or suffered from other form of
fuel starvation.  Although the carb and fuel line are the obvious suspects
I can not seem to find evidence of spark in the ignition system.

>The battery is new and well charged, the starter works fine and I have
replaced the ignition coil (induction coil?) I have checked and found the
posts to and from the coil carry current.  Regardless, even with fuel in
the carb the engine will not fire.

>Questions:
>
>When I test for current coming from the coil to the distributor I find no
evidence of current.  There is also no spark when I place the wire going
from the coil to the distributor next to the engine block.

>Am I running the proper tests?
>
>After replacing the coil I am at a loss as to where to look next.
>
>Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
>
>Best Regards,
>K.

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus movie reviews, articles and Left/Progressive links at:
                           http://home.earthlink.net/~jfcowan