Re: Crank Q

To: jgillis@tcd.ie
Subject: Re: Crank Q
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 06:35:14 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 12/16/98 3:48:43 AM EST, jgillis@tcd.ie writes:

<< Still on the subject of my TR2 engine re-build and thanks to Fred Thomas
 for the only reply to the liner question !!. I have discovered that the
 crank is scrap and below any re-grinding levels on all journals. I will
 need a replacement. Because I intend to fit the later type rear oil seal,
 can I use a good TR4 / 4A crank, which would save on having the scroll
 machined smooth as required on the earlier type ?. It would also improve my
 chances of locating a sound standard crank which I could have macined if
 necessary for new bearings. Hope for more than one reply thios time????,
 thanks in advance

 John Gillis
 1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
 1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
 Trinity College >>

TR2 thru TR4A cranshafts are all essentially the same - all use the aluminum
"magic" rear oil seal. I think any replacement crank you find will need to be
machined for the TR6 style oil seal, if that is the intent.
There should be lots of used cranks out there. Some can even be fitted to your
motor. :-)

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B